Good Afternoon

Good Afternoon
Photographer, Shelly Boyd

Friday, November 1, 2013

Final Assignment: Crafting an Effective Writer Topic #2

Nyselxcin-Okanagan Language

Crafting an Effective Writer Topic #2: Identify and describe a favourite activity or interest and provide at least 4 reasons why this activity or interest holds your attention and/or is enjoyable to you.


                               Nyselxcin is a language being revived from the brink of extinction, by the very dedicated language keepers of our valley. Our culture, language and traditional ways of the First Nations people are slowly being driven into extinction because of generational problems and racism. The traditional language keepers of many nations were ripped from homes and beaten into submission via the residential school system. The Nyselxcin language was illegal to use for the First Nations people. This explains why so many First Nations languages were drowned out never to be heard again. In my valley, we have dedicated, motivated and amazing men and women that work tiresly so individuals like me can hear, learn and speak the language of our people, and to gift on the traditions to future generations. These same language keepers are showcasing and illuminating respect for our people, for ourselves, for our culture, for our language, and for our traditions. I am proud to say that I am currently learning my traditional native language. I is a difficult and rewarding language that gives me the greatest joy to be sharing with my children. The spoken sounds and the written words are absolutely fascinating.  I am proud to say that I am learning from amazing elders in my community. To ensure generational, existence of our traditional language, we must first start with, a moment, a step and the spoken the word.
Way’ lim limt! Goodbye, Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment